Work Location: Waverly, Iowa
We are seeking an uncommon professional to join our team as a Programmer I
This is a full time employment position located in our Waverly, Iowa, office. This is a standard 1st shift, Monday through Friday, position. The Programmer I will be working in our IT area that supports the company’s Annuity product line that consists of a few systems done in Visual Basic, VB.NET, COBOL, ASP/ASP.NET, and MS SQL Server. The aforementioned technologies is what the ideal candidate would possess along with 1-3 years of experience or programming internship. Assignments are less support and more product driven. Scenarios include, but not limited to, functional updates and implementations, compliance changes – in order to meet the product’s approval throughout different states across the nation, and application enhancements as requested by internal client areas. The team dynamic includes 2 experienced developers, 3 business analysts and 1 manager. Late work hours may be required during testing phases of applications.
Within the following job responsibilities, a Programmer I will typically spend 90% of their time coding, testing, and documenting, and spend 10% of their time involved with analysis/design activities.
1. Assists in creating, in an accurate and efficient manner, the defined application code according to the individual program specifications and the existing programming standards. This code must be developed in a manner that is straightforward, clear, and consistent with existing programs within the system and in compliance with the Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC).
2. Assists in analyzing the needs of a business area and creating the detailed functional specifications required for the development of efficient, dependable, maintainable applications logic to support the business need. This analysis and design is usually done under the direction of Information Technology management or advanced professional staff including Programmer II, Programmer/Analyst or Analyst/Designers.
3. Assists in interpreting or refining the file specifications produced. This will include platform requirements, language requirements, implementation and test plans, and be either of the traditional information engineering techniques (data flow, system flow, entity relationship diagrams, file specifications, structure charts, action diagrams or be able to produce or refine object oriented analysis/design techniques & UML diagramming notation (class hierarchy diagrams, class collaboration diagrams, class sequence diagrams. Tests and debugs production programs and programs under development, in accordance with developed test plans, to isolate and eliminate problems that could be very costly to the Company in adverse public relations, lost productivity internally, wasted resources, etc. This may require working directly with other technical staff and business departments in identifying problems and modifications.
4. Assists in determining and resolving production issues. Works with others to identify underlying cause of outage and correcting it to prevent future occurrences. Implements program logic, documentation, and procedural changes on schedule and according to an established implementation plan. Documents program logic, procedures, and business recovery plans thoroughly and completely so that the documentation is readily understood by others working on the system. This documentation should also follow established standards and procedures.
5. Assists in business continuous improvement by taking responsibility to act in a customer-focused. This includes providing service to clients that meets or exceeds their expectations, continually evaluating work processes by looking for ways to eliminate non-essential tasks and improving quality. Contributes positively to the team by performing daily work in a professional manner and treating co-workers as clients. Makes decisions that increase customer satisfaction and develops/maintains business-specific knowledge.
The above list of responsibilities is not all inclusive and other duties may be assigned from time to time.
2. Demonstrated proficiency in a business or academic environment within the last three (3) years developing, testing, debugging and documenting program logic in at least one (1) in-house programming language – COBOL, .NET, Visual Basic, ASP/ASP.NET.
3. Demonstrated proficiency in a business or academic environment within the last three (3) years troubleshooting, determining root cause, resolving and documenting system issues.
4. Proven ability to problem solve effectively, analyze issues and think through resolution in a logical manner.
5. Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment and provide a high level of customer service.
6. Proven ability to effectively communicate technical concepts to both technical and non-technical users, both verbally and in writing.
7. Must be willing and available to participate in a 24×7 on-call rotation to include resolving application system issues either remotely or on-site any time of the day or night including weekends and holiday.